Saturday, June 18, 2011

The sovereignty of God

I wrote this earlier this week... in response to a friend's Facebook post stating simply that "life is weird".

"I agree, but I am sooo thankful that we serve a God who is sovereign and holy and good and always completely in control, that nothing ever takes Him by surprise, and that He is always working all things out for the good of those who love Him. This week has been so weird and unexpected and would have really shaken me if I didn't have Him to hold onto."

With that in mind, I have a question... what do you do when God brings someone into your life that you have just started to care about when you learn that they could possibly be terminally ill? I say "possibly" because although there is definitely something wrong and it's probably serious, there is not yet a confirmation in the form of an official diagnosis.

So, seriously... what do you do? I don't even know what to think or feel right now. Part of me honestly wants to protect myself and stop caring. But I already do care, so how do I deal with what's happening?

This is the conclusion I came to this morning... I cannot convince myself to just stop caring, so I will continue to care and, as far as God wants me to, I will walk through this journey with my friend. If the result is life, then I will have had the honor of standing beside a friend during such a difficult time, and we will have the pleasure of being a part of each other's lives for hopefully many more years to come. If the result is death, then my friend will be in the presence of our amazing God for all eternity, and I will have had the amazing privilege of knowing and supporting my friend, and being a part of this part of the journey.

Either way, God still is and always will be holy and sovereign. And I still have tears streaming down my face as I am writing, thinking and praying about all of this...

No comments: