I was walking down the street this morning when someone passed me. As he walked by me, I noticed that he was singing out loud while listening to his iPod. I couldn't help but smile.
I only continued walking behind him for about two more blocks before I turned down another street, but it was enough time to notice that he was obviously really enjoying the music he was listening to. At one point, while he was waiting at an intersection for the light to change, he was doing a combination of jumping up and down and dancing to the beat of the music. I couldn't help but smile again.
Since I was walking behind him, I also noticed the looks that he got from the other people he passed on the street, but I really don't think that he cared what other people were thinking. He was completely engaged in his music, he was free to be himself, and he paid no attention to the looks.
I had to smile as I watched him. Then I asked myself how many other adults would be willing to do the same without being coerced? Not many. Would I? Probably not. Most of us care too much about what other people think... or will think.
Little children have the ability to go about life in a similar way... passionate about what they will be passionate, without restraint, without heeding to the thoughts of "what will other people think of me if I _____?" It's unfortunate that the trait seems to be lost somewhere along the way while we're growing up.
1 comment:
Wow, it's been awhile since I was on your site....I like the new look. I think it's easier to act like that in big cities. I know if I ever did that (act all crazy) in Nanaimo or Victoria you never know when you will meet that person again! Hope you are keeping well in Montreal...
Post a Comment