Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Snow, snow and ... more snow

Here's a brief snapshot of life in Montreal's winter wonderland. I'm sure that more photos that strike me as being "blog worthy" will follow in the future.

A bunch of us went tobogganing during the day on New Year's Eve in a park nearby our house. Someone else took a picture of me in mid-air, flipping off of the sled, but unfortunately I don't have a copy of that one yet. :) For now, here's a picture of the hill with a bunch of other people enjoying the thrill of flying down it as fast as possible.



*****

One of the couples from the church went to France for Christmas vacation and, while they have been gone, I have been looking after their car for them. That means that I've been making sure that it doesn't get ticketed or towed, which is an inevitable fact in Montreal if you leave your car parked in the same place on the street for too many days. And of course, I've also had the pleasure of driving it!

We had another snowstorm yesterday (New Year's Day) and when I went out this morning to shovel out the car, this is what I found. I wouldn't have even been able to recognize the car if I hadn't been sure of where I had parked it two days earlier!



And here is the result of my hard work shoveling. It seriously took me at least an hour and a half!



I went out to do some errands later today and the beautifully shoveled out spot was promptly taken by someone else... another fact of life of parking on the street. When I came back, I essentially parked in a snow bank. :) Hopefully I won't have to shovel the car out again tomorrow!

It was certainly an experience to shovel a car out of that much snow, but I'm grateful that it will probably be the last time that I have to do it this winter, seeing as Louis and Marinet come home tomorrow. I love having a car but I have decided that I am very thankful that I do not have one right now! If I do ever decide to get a car while I'm living in Montreal, I think that it will be a necessity to live in an apartment building that has underground parking or a house that has a garage. :)

*****

And finally... we have a back door in our apartment that opens out onto a balcony. We're on the top floor of the building, so the balcony accumulates a lot of snow. As of today, this is what I saw when I opened the door. I wonder how high it will pile up before the winter is over?? I'll keep you posted!

1 comment:

Champagne Works said...

WoW!!!!!!!! And I was wining to Carpenter that I had to walk Gem to School in the snow while I pushed Jules in the buggy!!!