Tuesday, November 13, 2007

The wonder of forgiveness

So, something happened this week... or rather, something happened a little while ago that God brought to my attention last night as I was asking Him about something else. It doesn't really matter what it was (it can't be particularly good if it involved me asking for forgiveness, so we'll leave it at that) but the point is that it ended with me asking for forgiveness, both from God and a few other people. I'm not sure if I can concisely put my thoughts into words, but I'll try...

Have you ever considered the absolute wonder of forgiveness? I know that I have in the past but something was different about last night. I really messed up and kind of momentarily felt like I should be banned from all future blessing on my life. Perhaps that sounds drastic, but I know it's not true and it was only a fleeting thought. It made me think though... where would I be without forgiveness?

And it was then that I realized that, athough I needed to 'fess up and ask for forgiveness, what I had done really didn't change God's love for me, no matter how bad I thought it was. 1 John 1:9 says that "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." I almost felt like I should have to do twenty laps around the block, sixty crunches, and thirty push-ups as some sort of punishment or to somehow atone for what had happened, but all that God was asking me to do was confess... and repent, of course (i.e. don't do it again!). I was embarassed and wanted to run and hide, yet God simply held out His hand to me.

I just looked up the word "forgiveness" in an online dictionary and here's what it said.
1. The act of forgiving; the pardon of an offender, by which he is considered and treated as not guilty.
2. The pardon or remission of an offense or crime; as the forgiveness of sin or of injuries.
3. Disposition to pardon; willingness to forgive.
4. Remission of a debt, fine or penalty.

Pardon... Remission... Treated as not guilty. What a wonder! Forgiveness is completely unmerited favour and grace! I may think that I've really gone and done it this time, but the hand of favour and grace is still there, if only I will confess. It brings freedom, takes the burden of guilt away, and wipes the slate clean for a new beginning.

No comments: