Tuesday, February 20, 2007

A stroll down memory lane...

Do you remember the days before the internet and email when we actually used to handwrite letters to our friends and then mail them? I quite honestly had forgotten those days... until today.

I spent a few hours tonight going through some of my stuff and attempting to be wise in my decisions about what to bring to Montreal with me and what to just get rid of. In that process, I realized that, although I am not a pack rat in most senses, I can be extremely sentimental and keep things simply because they have some sort of emotional value to me. And that I have a very good memory! With the exception of a few instances where I came across something and either questioned what it was or who on earth the person was who gave it to me, I actually remembered most of the situations... what had happened and why I would have felt compelled to keep said item.

So, in the course of those few hours, I think it's safe to say that I took a bit of a journey through the last 12 years or so of my life, most of it in Victoria. It is an amazing thing to reflect on how far God has brought me since 1994 and the many people that were important parts of my life over the years.

It is also amazing to think of how many times I've moved all this stuff without really thinking twice about why I still kept it! This time, I will be paying by the pound (meaning weight, not British currency) for everything I ship to Montreal, so I might want to use a bit more discretion.

Easier said than done however! Part of me said to just get rid of all of it, without even looking at it, but I was kind of curious. It was a neat little journey and it really was a blessing to reflect back on the years I've spent in Victoria. Maybe I should get through the next little pile of stuff a little quicker though... :)

So, back to the handwritten letters! As I was going through this shoebox of old cards and letters, I was surprised to find the letters! Pages and pages that my friends and I would write to each other about what was going on in our lives at the time. Maybe I should keep one of them for posterity sake... and to remember that there actually was life before the internet.

Isn't it interesting to think about how life changes over time as our paths take us in different directions? All the way from friendships that have stood the test of time and still remain strong... to friendships that were once so close but are now defined by a Christmas card or letter once a year... to people that you haven't heard from in years.

Anyways, enough introspection for now... it's very late and I need to be at work in the morning. Aiyah!

... 9 more days

1 comment:

Katrina said...

Sarah? You sure stay up late :P