The other day I was trying to think of something exciting or interesting to write for my next blog post. I couldn't think of anything so I decided to check in on the blogs of some of my friends to see what they have been up to lately.
As I was reading my friend Tanis' blog, I saw my name. Well, actually I saw "Montreal Sarah" and figured that it really couldn't be more clear that Tanis was referring to me. I had enjoyed reading her post, but had to re-read it to understand how I fit into the end of it. It turns out that I had been tagged.
I have to agree with Tanis that I very rarely, if ever, respond to those "answer a million random questions about yourself" emails that you must send to X number of friends, but I will also play along with this one. I'm actually quite curious to see what I'll write since I have free reign to talk about whatever I want. Here's the deal...
1. People who are tagged write a blog post about 8 random facts/habits/things about themselves, and post these rules.
2. At the end of your post, you need to tag 8 people and include their names.
3. You may need to leave them a comment and tell them they’re tagged, and to read your blog.
I think that I might break the "rules" and not tag anyone at the end of this post, but here are 8 random facts and/or habits about me that you may or may not already know...
1. I love listening to the music of bagpipes. The first time that I remember listening to a bagpipe band was at a Robbie Burns Night celebration in Kimberley when I was about 7 or 8 years old. I have no idea why we went, but I remember hearing the music and seeing the highland dancers and loving all of it. Soon after that, I started highland dancing and got to listen to bagpipe music for endless hours on end while I practiced. :) I stopped highland dancing when I was 14 years old, but I still love listening to bagpipes. My grandpa was Scottish, so maybe it's in my blood? If/when I get married, I want to have someone playing a bagpipe as a part of the ceremony somehow.
2. I don't like having dirty feet. My feet are one part of my body that I can't stand to be dirty. Why, I'm not quite sure, but it's true. If I come home and my feet are dirty, one of the first things I'll probably do once I'm in the house will be to wash my feet. If, by some chance, I don't wash my dirty feet when I first get home, I'll definitely do it before I go to bed.
3. I love water, not necessarily drinking it (although I do like drinking water), but more specifically large bodies of water that you can hang out in, on, or by. Oceans, lakes, rivers... I love 'em all, although I'd have to say that the ocean is probably my favorite. When I lived in Victoria, I could spend hours on the beach by the ocean, thinking, praying, walking, reading, or just simply watching the waves come in and go out again. Montreal is lacking an ocean but it does have the St. Lawrence River. I've spent a couple of very relaxing afternoons exploring the many parks along the river, thinking, praying, and watching the rapids. And now that I live within driving distance to the east coast, I can't wait to see the Atlantic Ocean.
4. My dream job would be to be a stay-at-home mom. I know that it wouldn't be an easy job by any means but, far more than any job I could ever get in the marketplace, I would love to be able to stay at home and raise kids. I need to get married first though, so I can have those kids, so that dream will have to wait for another time and season in my life. Until then, I'll love making an impact on people's lives by working in the not-for-profit sector.
5. I love drinking tea. Green tea, white tea, herbal tea, chai... I love them all, except I'm quite honestly not a big fan of plain old regular black tea. If I had to pick a favorite, I'd choose Chai that is made the East Indian way with fresh spices (i.e. not the Starbucks syrup or tea bag version, which I admittedly do still love to drink). OR I'd choose Celestial Seasonings Imperial White Peach Tea (thanks for introducing us, Lacey). Out of curiousity, I found the Celestial Seasonings website and check out what it says about this tea...
"A hint of heavenly fruit scents our serene Imperial White Peach White Tea. We've blended delicate white tea with the sweetness of white peaches, creating a true harmony of exquisite flavors. ... Just one sip will evoke dreamy visions of misty glades and faraway places where serenity is always there for the asking."
Ahh, the crafty words of marketing and advertising gurus! But it does make me want to make a cup right now. Unfortunately, I have been unable to find it in a grocery store in Montreal as of yet... maybe I need to look harder or just go to Loblaws (I'm sure they will have it because they have everything... seriously).
6. In the 30 years since I was born in Trail, BC, I have moved 26 times, lived in 10 different cities (most of which were in BC, except for two), and lived in 23 different houses/apartments. Seriously, it's true! I just counted and I don't think I missed anything. Don't worry, I'll spare you the details...
7. I have always wanted to be able to speak French fluently. While everyone else was learning Spanish and Japanese and any language other than the second of our country's official languages, I still wanted to take French courses. Both of my parents were born and raised in Montreal and many of my family members are bilingual, so I think it's just in my blood to be fluent in French. But since I lived in BC for my entire life and we never spoke French at home when I was growing up, it never really made sense to me why I desired to be able to speak French fluently.
Unfortunately, it's expensive to take French courses and it's quite difficult to find many people in BC who speak French, so it never really happened. Now that I'm living in Montreal it suddenly makes sense why I've always wanted to be bilingual and it's gone one step further to actually needing to be bilingual.
I've found a good and inexpensive French program that I can start in September and, to continue to improve in the meantime, I've started watching the news in French every day. I know that it will help me learn how to understand and speak the language better but, at the moment, I have to admit that I only understand bits and pieces of each news story. It will be a glorious and exciting day when I can watch the news and actually understand everything that is being said. I'll let you know when that day comes! :)
8. I am terrified of thunder and lightning storms. They scare me like nothing else can and my first inclination during a thunder and lightning storm is to crawl into bed and put a pillow over my head to try to block out the noise and the flashes of light. Montreal has had perpetual thunderstorm warnings for the past week or two, but it was upgraded today to a "SEVERE Thunderstorm Warning". As I write this post, I can hear the storm starting outside and I can feel myself getting more and more uncomfortable.
I just checked the weather on Environment Canada's website and here's the detail of the storm warning...
Metro Montréal - Laval
11:49 PM EDT Wednesday 27 June 2007
Severe thunderstorm warning for
Metro Montréal - Laval issued
A strong thunderstorm line extending north of Lanaudière toward Lachute is moving eastward at 70 km/h and will hit southern Québec during the next hour. These thunderstorms could produce gusts at 90 km/h or more, hail of 2 centimetres or more, heavy rain and intense lightning. Public in these regions should take the necessary precautions and listen to subsequent weather warnings.
Aiyah! Now that I'm done writing about 8 random facts about me, I think that's my cue to put in earplugs, curl up in bed, and attempt to sleep through this storm that is rapidly approaching. I have decided that I'm not going to tag anyone but, if you have a blog and you feel so inclined to write about 8 random facts about yourself, go for it... it's actually quite fun to think of things to write. If you do decide to do it, I'd love to read the post, so drop me a line to let me know to check it out.
No comments:
Post a Comment