I came across this article and broadcast recently on why people may be feeling so exhausted right now. It's interesting and talks about how the velocity of change that we are experiencing has upended our entire lives, taken away our habits, thrown everything into disarray, and made it such that the right decision is no longer obvious when it comes to something as simple as going to the grocery store... which quite frankly is exhausting. That said, it also talks about how this time can be an opportunity for us to slow down, be patient, allow ourselves and other people to make mistakes and be forgiven, and look for ways in which the future after the pandemic can bring about positive changes to our pre-pandemic lifestyles.
Slowing down, being patient and forgiving, looking for the positive... I'll add being thankful to that list because I have been thinking a lot about thankfulness recently. A friend of mine is doing a 365-day gratitude challenge. She is doing it on Facebook so, every day, she writes a post about what she is thankful for that day. As of the day of this post, she is on Day 244. Even though life is so messy and hard right now and so many of our freedoms have temporarily been taken away from us, it doesn't mean that our reasons to be thankful have also disappeared and it encourages me that she has continued her daily gratitude posts. Her daily sources of thankfulness have certainly changed, but she can still find a reason to be thankful each and every day.
As I shared in an earlier post, one of the first photos that Hal and I took together was in a Caribou Coffee in Denver, Colorado. In that coffee shop, there was a chalkboard filled with the various expressions of those who had been there to enjoy their drink of choice. I cannot remember if there was a specific topic for the writings on that chalkboard, but I think it was pretty random and open. Hal and I added our names to the board. 💕 The board was messy and there was writing all over the place and in every direction and in every color, but you can still see our names and they still stand out.
It was in thinking about our current situation and that chalkboard that I started thinking about "messy thankfulness". I realized that thankfulness can be really messy these days because it means looking past the struggle, the anguish, and the fatigue to find a reason for gratitude. There are still lots of reasons to be thankful, but they're a bit... or sometimes even a lot... harder to see in the midst of such struggle.
This will be my daily reminder that thankfulness is possible in the middle of such a mess... and that messy thankfulness can be a beautiful thing.
What are you thankful for today?
No comments:
Post a Comment