Haircut #1:
I went to get my hair cut last Friday morning and watched in absolute horror as the hair dresser first cut my hair unevenly and differently on each side. I'm not quite sure how she managed that one, but I gently suggested that she make some changes, which only got me very short hair on top and long on the bottom... basically a mullet. In an attempt to correct that error, she had to cut the length shorter but didn't bother to cut any style into it. She pretty much just chopped it off! At this point, I decided to make no further requests, pay for the disastrous experience, leave as quickly as possible, and figure out what to do with my hair later.
After struggling to make my hair look presentable for the evening (I was going to volunteer for a youth bowling night for the Learning Disabilities Association of Quebec, which was tons of fun, by the way), I decided that my hair would have to be re-cut and, by the grace of God, saw a place on my way home that is just down the street from my house.
Haircut #2:
So, my first stop on Saturday morning was Coiffure 3, where a wonderful hair dresser re-cut my hair after looking at it with a bit of horror. She really was a blessing from God! She can't speak English fluently and I can't speak French fluently, so I'd speak in English and she would most often reply in French and fortunately both of us could understand each other!
Haircut #3:
With a bit of hesitation, I revealed my new look to Ang and the Lacey's, with responses that varied from "oh my, it's not really you" to "it looks good, I like it". Both Ang and Rachel suggested that perhaps the length should be cut a little shorter, so I ventured back to Coiffure 3 on Tuesday morning for my third haircut of the week. Angela, the hair dresser, agreed that the length should be shorter and happily re-cut it at no charge.
I am pretty sure that I had considered shaving my head at one point because I was a bit frustrated with my hair fiasco, but then decided that a bald head would probably not be of any assistance with my job search. So I decided to colour it instead and consulted Rachel for her assistance. It turned out that Rachel had been planning to go to Wal-Mart that evening to get a box to colour her own hair, so we decided to make an evening out of it. Unfortunately, the colour didn't really come out as dark as we had thought it would and we're not quite sure why... At any rate, my hair is a slightly darker colour and the colour covered up the grey hairs that have had the audacity to grow in the last year or two (shhh...).
Haircut #4:
After we had coloured my hair, Rachel wanted to style it to help me try and figure out what to do with my new hairstyle, since I had absolutely no clue, which led to the suggestion for one final haircut... to thin out my bangs. Oh dear! I sheepishly went back to Coiffure 3 on Thursday morning with my request, which Angela was happy to do yet again. I tried to pay her, but she wouldn't take the money and only requested that I refer my friends to her to help her build up her customer base.
I am not sure if the end result is exactly what Rachel had in mind, but haircut #5 wasn't an option and I decided that I could live with and get used to my new look. So, here I am... four haircuts later and with a little less cash left in the bank account than I had anticipated.